Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Organizing Coupons: What Works for You?

When I first started couponing, ages ago, I just used one of the small, accordion-type coupon organizers. This worked fine until it filled up and was basically ready to explode at any second.



I switched and used the binder system for a long time. The binder system is just what it sounds like: a 3 ring binder similar to this one.



I like the kind that zips all the way around so nothing can fall out. The coupons are sorted using baseball card sleeves and/or picture sleeves. I loved the system but was so bulky and I really hated when I would go somewhere that I didn't usually coupon and find a deal and not have my binder with me.

I really wanted a Couponizer (and still do really), but I didn't have the extra money to spend while I was having my coupon identity crisis, so after a lot of thought and a little creativity, I used some things I already had laying around the house to make my own coupon organizer.

I took an old DayRunner I had sitting in the drawer from when I used to be organized (read: before kids). Then I took some standard envelopes (from a box that I got on clearance at Wal-mart for 66 cents), sealed them and cut part of the front off to make a pocket. I punched holes in them so they fit the rings in the planner. I used my $4.98 clearance Dymo labeler from Target to label the envies with categories. I already had some credit card pouches for the DayRunner so I used those for my store cards and it also already had a calculator in it and a zippered pouch in the front. It's about 5x8, so it fits in my purse.


It was all fine and dandy until I added billions of coupons and now I have to hold it closed with a rubber band. So...I'm still searching for the right system for me.

What works for you? Envelopes? File boxes? Binders? How do you stay organized?!

3 comments:

Amy said...

I am still new to couponing but I like to keep mine in an envelope in my purse so I have them just in case. I just recently bought one of those expandable organizers on clearance from the dollar store for .50 cents.

Unknown said...

I used to do the envelope thing, too!I would put the ones I KNEW I'd use in an envelope with my list on the outside of the envelope. I'd also mark next to the items on my list so I'd remember to USE the coupon!

Anonymous said...

I'm new to couponing so I don't have many to deal with but I just bought myself a 4x6 photo album and stick them in there for now.

About Us | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Blog Design | 2008 BargainHuntingMoms.com and GroceryCouponGuru.com